Thursday 17 December 2015

Parthian Camp

It is set up in an ancient ruin in the arid region near Palmyra. I thought I'd put up some camels loaded with quivers getting ready to resupply their Light Horse archers.

I like to create some kind of mini topography on the drastically constricted area allowed by the DBA rules. Consequently, most of my camps turn out to be maximum size. Tactically I don't mind because my playing style is aggressive enough to keep the opponent preoccupied (which doesn't mean I win!) The material is simple modelling clay from DAS. But I have to say it is not ideal because
a) it takes ages to dry (this camp took one week!!!),
b) it shrinks about 1/8 an
c) deforms while drying
I had to do all kinds of cover up jobs like file the bottom level with sandpaper, fill cracks with putty etc. I have to find an alternative. Can you help me here?
After drying I cover it with a putty from NOCH.
I'll try to remember to make some pictures next time :-)

6 comments:

Klingula said...

Remarkable work. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Great work and use of the Baueda Egyptian tent.

Can I have your permission to cross post these to my gallery at http://gallery.vexillia.com/

I will provide both a text and a back link.

Menic said...

Thanx for your replies! @ Vexillia: yes please, feel free. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Menic. Gallery post now online.

best crossbow said...


I hope more post of this type. Thanks for shareing this kind of valuable post.

Braxen said...

Really beautiful army and camp. Makes me want to build a Parthian army. Thanks for posting.




This blog is dedicated to ancient and medieval miniature wargaming. I'd like to share pictures of my painted armies and models, self made terrain-pieces and sketches of projects still residing in my head or on a piece of paper.
My main interest at the moment is creating armies and accessories, researching for historical or made-up scenarios and campaigns for the fast-play wargaming rules from "De bellis Antiquitatis" (DBA) with 25mm and 15mm figurines.
I use the blog-format rather unconventionaly. It is more like a scrapbook. And I update the older posts so keep checking. I recommend utilizing the labels to the left. So if your just interested in miniatures click the "Miniatures"-label and you will be presented with posts concerning painting, figurines etc. And don't forget to click on "older posts" at the bottom of the page for more. And many thanks for commenting!
Photographs showing painted toy soldiers, terrain pieces, scratch-built things and drawings © Menic Rüttimann 2.Nov.2006. Please notify me if you wish to use these.

Let your fancy flow...
Menic